Monday, December 30, 2013

The Year Of Fandango

Of all the guys to debut in 2013, Fandango is probably the most interesting. It isn't because he has accomplished so much this year and is so great. It is just interesting how his theme song has become so much more popular than he has.

He got some big wins early in the year. He beat Chris Jericho. He entered a feud against The Miz,which I still think was a waste of time. I promise you, that will be the last time I complain about that this year. Since then, he has gotten filler treatment. He is not really getting pushed. Just inconsistent treatment you would expect with midcarders these days. I don't think that is too bad for him. If he was actually more legitimately over, then I would say they should push him better.

Will 2014 hold anything better for him? Specifically, should  he get a midcard title reign? He seemed like he might have gotten one a few months ago, but an injury led to other plans. Should they give him a title next year? The main issue is that he has lost a ton of momentum. Back when his theme song was really helping him get some hype, it was the best time for a title reign. Now, I wouldn't have confidence in the WWE to push him well even with a title. He has just gotten lost in the shuffle. He might not get a good angle again until the WWE is ready to have Summer Rae break away from him.

Another aside on the theme of what it means to be great. Greatness isn't defined by what you have handed to you, but what you accomplish. What is the difference? A singer might win a Grammy. Fans of that singer might say that singer accomplished something. Bitter haters might say the singer was handed the award. In the end, how much do those kind of awards really mean?

Let me give another example. A long time ago, I remember watching a boxing match. The guy that won the fight won it rather easily. It looked like the guy that lost did so on purpose. Even the commentators said something that implied that the guy was paid off to lose the match. I don't remember exact details, since it was so long ago. The funny finish and the commentators acknowledging it are the only reasons I vaguely remember it. It was the best finish money could buy. The guy that won the fight came out with a fancy entrance and I believe they said he was undefeated. How many of those wins were bought? It made sense that someone might bribe his opponents to take a dive for him to keep him looking good. But those kind of wins don't make you great. What do you really accomplish by beating a guy like that? That guy was handed that win. He's not great. I don't care about how much hype they can surround the guy with by buying him wins and giving him fancy entrances, he didn't accomplish anything to make me say he is great. I don't know what became of him, but he probably got knocked out in 5 seconds when he had to face real competition.

In pro wrestling, you can argue that title reigns are not what make you great at all. Any wrestler can be booked to win a title for any reason. There have even been some non-wrestlers to win titles in major promotions. Are these guys really accomplishing anything when they win titles? Or are they just being handed something? A pro wrestlers job is to go out there and perform to entertain the fans, not simply collect titles. There have been some people that do not do a good job connecting with the fans and still get title success. To me, those title reigns do not make them great. Just like a boxer getting cheap wins is not something I view as an accomplishment, a wrestler being handed a title reign for no good reason is not something I view as an accomplishment. The title does not make you great.

Switch it back to Fandango. If they had given him a title reign earlier this year for his theme song's success, or still do next year, did he really accomplish anything? Or is he just being handed something? I don't consider this guy great. I don't like his theme song, but I cannot deny it has caught on. You can say he has a great theme song, but it is not like he produced it himself. If it was a theme he sang himself and it had success, I would be saying something different, but that is not the case. Assuming Fandango never truly gets over, if he ever gets a title reign just off of the hype his theme song had, that does not mean this guy is great. He didn't actually accomplish anything to be viewed as great in this situation. He is being handed a title. I am not saying I would be completely against him getting a title reign. You need fresh guys winning those midcard titles. What I am saying, I just won't buy into this guy just because of a title reign.

No comments:

Post a Comment