Tuesday, December 17, 2013

The Wrong Kind Of Uncertainty

I once took a seminar class on the theme of uncertainty. We basically read things where you couldn't blindly go by what the writer was telling you. I don't think anything I read in that class represented that idea better than The Trial by Kafka. That was the weirdest thing I had ever read. It was so inconsistent. It created this mysterious atmosphere that just kept me reading to see what this was all about. I have read myths, fairy tales, mysteries, and things like that, but this story was something else. It just seemed like a type of story that you would expect to be based on reality, but it was like the writer was on drugs when he wrote it. And yet, I enjoyed reading it. Even though it would leave you wondering so much, I still enjoyed going through it.

Randy Orton won at TLC. It looked like he was on top of the world. It looked like The Authority was back on his side. What happens on Raw? Triple H and Stephanie put him in a match against Daniel Bryan that he did not want. What is with this storyline? They just keep shifting from Randy Orton and The Authority being on the same page to having big issues. This is inconsistency. You either have to say the writers do not know what they are doing or they are purposely doing this to build up to the breaking point for either The Authority or Randy Orton. If you go by the former possibility, do not place all the blame on the writers. The bosses above them might be causing that inconsistency. Even if they are not, they should take control and guide the writers better. If you go by the latter possibility, that there is a storyline purpose for this inconsistency, you can also argue that they believe that being inconsistent like this might make people curious about what will happen and get them to tune in. Basically, there is thinking behind their madness.

I am not certain about what the WWE is trying to do here with this storyline between Orton and The Authority. This is the kind of uncertainty that I do not like. Kafka created this atmosphere of mystery in The Trial that would keep you reading to the end. The WWE is creating an atmosphere of incompetence with how they are handling this storyline. That might be a bit harsh. But it really doesn't seem to be like they know how to handle this storyline the right way. Either develop Orton to be The Authority's top star, and develop a face to eventually conquer him, or pull the trigger on having Orton separate himself from the corporate heels. Do a linear storyline. Stop going back and forth every week. Speaking for myself, I don't know what to get excited over when it comes to where the storyline might go. And the atmosphere they are creating, as I have mentioned before, isn't drawing me in. Maybe some fans out there love what is going on here. I am getting a little tired of the same insincere promos from The Authority. The storyline needs to go in a definitive direction.

As an Orton fan, I am glad to see him holding both titles. As someone that wants to see a great storyline, their recent actions are not exciting me. Even though I am a fan of Randy Orton, I was more excited over the possibility of some kind of screwjob that would lead to Orton feuding against The Authority. Basically, you have unified the titles, but the storyline is the same as it has been for months now. Orton being Champion is not enough to get me excited enough to forget about this inconsistent storyline.     

No comments:

Post a Comment