Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Corporate Kane: A Waste?

Kane has been aligned with The Authority for over a month now. He lost the mask and has been repackaged with a suit. He isn't wrestling. He does seem to have some storyline power when it comes to making matches. There are a few glimpses of the former Kane here and there, like his pyro, so he has not been completely changed. When you get right down to it, is this a good change?

First, how about the fact that he is not wrestling for now? I am not saying Kane was horrible in the ring, but I am not going to say that he had this amazing, unique wrestling ability that was a huge draw. The corporate heels have a member that has been World Champion before. He has that credibility. That could make for some good feuds and matches. I am not saying that Kane needs to be treated as just a pure henchman. They have The Shield for that. In terms of the tiers within the stable, Kane should be between The Shield and Orton. Triple H is one of the top leaders of the group, so you can understand him not wrestling regularly. But I don't think Kane should be held out of matches. Of course, it is only a matter of time before he does get a big match.

How about the fact that he now has some authority power? Good for Kane. When WWE.com eventually does a list of top wrestlers to become authority figures, I am sure Kane will be in there between William Regal and Shawn Michaels. Those lists are what it is all about, isn't it? For the moment, I do see one problem. Brad Maddox and Vickie Guerrero have really been phased down. A few months ago, I brought up the potential that those two could have had when it came to storylines for themselves. That got buried away under Triple H and Stephanie McMahon. They are now getting buried away further under Kane. Honestly, I would just come up with some way to write them off and let Kane have their spot officially. You don't need all these authority figures running around. When Kane does eventually lose his kayfabe position, then you can make GMs out of whomever.

Last thing to consider, is this repackaging of Kane the right option? Keep in mind that he could have come back with a huge beard and dressed as a guy you would expect to clean your septic tank. That is to say, he could have been a Wyatt. That most likely would have had him wrestling more than he is now. He wouldn't have the position to make matches he has now. And it really would have been a bigger change than you have now. In terms of The Wyatt's angle, that would have been huge for them. Big storyline development. In terms of what is best for Kane, I think where he is now is a lot better for him. Still, it would have been interesting to see how joining Bray Wyatt would have worked out for him.

When you get right down to it, is this all a waste of Kane? Kane is a versatile character. He has been one of my favorites since I started watching in 1998. This current storyline isn't making me hate him. I enjoy this better than seeing him job. I do wish they developed some feuds for him within the angle, but I can wait for that. Personally, I am not going to complain about how they are using him. A wrestler's legacy isn't just based on what they do during matches. It is also based on angles outside the matches. And this is good for Kane. It is keeping him fresh.

Christmas is tomorrow. I think I'll skip blogging. If you are one of the few that read my blog regularly, no need to check tomorrow. I'll be back on Friday. Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment