Monday, December 9, 2013

Curtis Axel And Ryback To Go After The Tag Titles?

Last week, I mentioned some teams I would like to see feud against The Rhodes for the tag titles. I did not mention Curtis Axel and Ryback. It did cross my mind to mention them. They are heels. They aren't exactly lower-midcarders. Why didn't I mention them? To put it simply, this was not a team I wanted to see The Rhodes go against. Since it looks like the WWE is going in this direction, I should talk about them.

Why exactly did I not care about seeing these two get a title shot? For one thing, in comparison to Swagger & Cesaro and The Wyatts, this team has barely been around for long. Curtis Axel was aligned with Paul Heyman. A few months ago, Ryback joined Heyman and a partnership was formed. This is still a pretty new tag team. But it is more than just this idea of seniority, if you want to consider it that. Ryback and Curtis Axel have no real gimmick together. The Real Americans have a clear gimmick that links them. The Wyatts have a clear gimmick that links them. Curtis Axel and Ryback's bond is based on the fact that they used to be aligned with Paul Heyman. Heyman is gone now. They have no common gimmick. This is pretty much two midcarders that they still want to feature for a while and a tag team is a convenient way to do it. More teams are deserving.

Should this team win the tag titles? I don't think they will, but should they? I am not against Ryback winning a title. Curtis Axel has already held some titles in the WWE. But why would this team need the tag titles? To drop it off to another deserving face team? It would be a waste of time. There are more deserving heel teams that could be used for that. I would say that this feud will just amount to The Rhodes getting a successful title defense, then moving on to better things.

Even though I do not like this tag team, I am not saying that Ryback and Curtis Axel should have nothing to do. Why not have them feud against each other? Their current angle might lead to that. Turn one of them face. I would pick Curtis Axel for that. Ryback makes for a very good heel. Many might say that Curtis Axel would never make it as a face. Well, he isn't exactly becoming a major star as a heel, is he? Try something different with him. If it does not work, start depushing him. But having these two feud against each other could make for a good non-title midcard feud.

No comments:

Post a Comment