Friday, December 6, 2013

Alberto Del Rio And Big Show Out Of The Hunt

Last time, I talked about how great it was that the men's division is so open that you have room for guys to still get featured well even outside of the top feud and outside the title picture. I pointed out that CM Punk and Daniel Bryan were both getting good storylines, even though neither had to do with the title picture and neither were as big as Cena vs. Orton. Let me follow that same idea to two other wrestlers. Big Show and Alberto Del Rio were both involved in the title picture until recently. Both failed to win their title match at Survivor Series. Both have been depushed. The analyst in me would be quick to point out that an eventual depush was obvious. That doesn't mean I cannot critique how the WWE has been handling Big Show and Alberto Del Rio during this depush.

Alberto Del Rio was being used to put over the centerpiece of the company. A jobber to the centerpiece in the diva division usually has mediocrity to look forward to after being done with that. How about Del Rio? The guy lost to a man known as Sin Cara on Raw. He lost clean. He isn't getting any big storyline. This is a real depush. This might end up being the biggest depush Del Rio has gotten since he started in the WWE. Nevertheless, the WWE could start a "losing streak" angle for Del Rio. Have him keep losing and destroying people out of frustration. It's still some kind of storyline. Granted, it is a lazy storyline. If the WWE wants to feature someone on a consistent basis and cannot think of a good way of doing it, two things they might typically do is give them a losing streak or team them up with someone else lost in the shuffle to make them a tag team. It gives fans something to talk about for that individual. I would rather Alberto Del Rio get his own stable or be more involved with The Authority, but if neither of that will happen, a storyline about a losing streak and frustrated Del Rio might not be bad. This is a guy that likes Alberto Del Rio saying he would be fine with him getting a losing streak. Just making that clear.

Big Show was being used to put over the storyline "face" of the company. He has not only been depushed out of that, he is no longer a major player against The Authority. I don't mind what they have been doing with Alberto Del Rio recently, but I really dislike how they have depushed Big Show. After Triple H and Stephanie McMahon made life hell for him for so long, he switches focus to trying to get the WWE Championship, fails to win that, and then gets lost in the shuffle in terms of not being still right in the middle of the current major storyline. Things were really personal between him and Triple H and Stephanie. That could have been a big storyline right there. They instead move him into a lackluster title feud and depush him further after that. At the very least, still keep him a strong player in this storyline and have him team with CM Punk to face all three members of The Shield at TLC. This has just been bad development for Big Show on the part of the WWE.

Time for an aside. I have taken 4 creative writing courses during my many years in college. The first 2 were taught by the same guy, and those were my favorite. Not only was the instructor a nice guy and funny, I liked how he structured the class. The other workshops I took after that just seemed disorganized. In a writing workshop, you obviously come up with ideas for stories and write the stories, but you do more than that. You also read and critique the works of the other people in the workshop. In those first 2 courses I took, we would go around the room and say something we liked and something we didn't like about every piece we workshopped. You might sometimes notice that I sometimes say things I like about a certain angle and also turn around and say things I don't like about the same angle. It isn't that I can't make up my mind about it. I'm just trying to critique it as fairly as I can. Well, usually. In these writing workshops, you also read the works of published writers, getting a sense of how they do things, and have to write an analysis paper on that. Analyzing, critiquing, and coming up with stories. That is really not too different from what I do on this blog. I analyze how the WWE is pushing their workers, as well as ratings numbers and other things like that, I critique what the WWE is doing, and I come up with creative ideas on how I would handle things. I personally don't like how I structure this blog. I'm not as organized as I should be. Anyway, just wanted to draw the comparison between what I do on this blog and what was done in those writing workshops.

No comments:

Post a Comment