Monday, August 22, 2011

What Exactly Are Kofi And Bourne Going To Save?

If the tag titles actually meant something, I would be more excited for Evan Bourne and Kofi Kingston winning the titles. Kofi has held tag titles before in the WWE. This is Bourne's first title reign.

All through their tag match last week and the title match tonight, I heard the commentators hyping tag wrestling and talking up both teams in a way I did not find too smooth and natural. Otunga and McGillicutty are boring and need to do something? And whose fault is that? I see them trying to come out with an unique look. Do I see them getting storylines and meaningful feuds? They weren't even in a real feud when they just lost the titles. And what happened when Zack Ryder, who was getting even less TV time at one point, managed to do something on his own to get over? What was his reward for being entertaining to fans? Why should Otunga and McGillicutty even bother making Youtube accounts?

The real kicker for me is how they talk like Kofi Kingston and Evan Bourne winning the tag titles will lead to some great improvement. The wrestlers are not the deciding factor of whether a division will look good. They have to perform through what storylines and booking decisions officials backstage are making. Yes, they are two good faces. As a team, they are fairly new. They have usually been given singles pushes. They definitely had a moment tonight. Then again, I remember a certain other team who won tag titles a year ago. The Hart Dynasty won the tag titles against Miz and Big Show. This was a real tag team. Their victory was a huge moment for them and many fans too. What happened to them? Their feud with The Usos was good, but really just filler and did not build any person involved to an epic level. DH Smith is gone. Tyson Kidd is not really relevant at all. Even Natalya, the woman of the stable, did not follow a steady path of good treatment. She was the Diva's Championship, yes, but her title reign lasted about 2 months and did not do much for her. She went on to be treated mediocrely once again, like all other diva credible jobbers. Don't let her angle going on right now fool you, she will end up back where she was just a few months ago. Nowhere in particular. And that is where I feel both Kofi and Evan will end up, especially Bourne. Am I the ultimate pessimist? I am just a person who has gotten my emotions played with. I have never been the type of person whose favorite singer or movie of all time changes every week. The WWE is telling me Bourne and Kingston are the tag team to talk about right now? Really?

Really? As the sun rises on Bourne and Kingston, and sets on Otunga and McGillicutty, the sun is also rising on another fairly new pairing. The Miz and R-Truth are officially a team now. Why not? Both of these guys were used to put over John Cena this year, both went back to upper midcard mediocrity after, and both don't really have anything to do recently. They could easily get lost in the shuffle. But because they are priorities to some degree and there is still segment space to include them, you see hope for them. They gave a huge promo tonight. What really stood out for me in that promo? They were talking about being overlooked. Really? Otunga and McGillicutty were getting overlooked while they still had the tag titles. Kofi Kingston and Evan Bourne were stuck with not proper focus for weeks until they won the titles tonight. Neither Miz or R-Truth were really as bad off as the men I just mentioned recently. It is only a matter of time before Miz and R-Truth get a tag titles shot. But will that help the tag division? Another pairing of two guys who really belong in singles feuds getting put in tag matters? I know very well what is waiting to debut for the tag division, but I am not expecting much for them.

The WWE can have their commentators say whatever during tag matches, fact is, I don't see anything improving or really changing yet. The names may change, but I still see filler reigns with no proper hype and booking, filler pushes for midcarders that have nothing fresh to do, and what will probably be good reigns for upper midcarders who have some real main-event credibility to them. What do I want to see then? Tag teams consisting of guys who naturally go together. They don't have to be brothers. I want to see tag feuds and storylines that involved good promo time. I want to see these real teams get storylines and good rubs in the main event, not just drop the titles to whoever the WWE Champion is, then win it back a short while after. I want to see the kind of things they did for Edge & Christian, The Dudleys, The Hardys, The World's Greatest Tag Team, and some other teams like that. I even remember Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch being treated slightly better than some of the tag teams I see today. Lance Who? Murdoch? Am I talking about the guy from A-Team? In time, people will even forget that McGillicutty held the tag titles. Do people even remember Drew McIntyre and Cody Rhodes were tag champs too?

No comments:

Post a Comment