Sunday, August 14, 2011

New Intercontinental Champion and General Pre-Summerslam Thoughts

Cody Rhodes defeated Zeke to win the Intercontinental Championship. Great? Before I talk about Cody, let me just say a bit about Zeke. What did the WWE actually have him do as Intercontinental Champion? I'll be honest, in between his feud with Wade Barrett and his feud with Cody, the only thing I recall Zeke doing during his reign is have a match with Christian. That is the biggest thing he did. So what hope am I to have for Cody's reign? If the midcard actually meant more these days, I would be more excited about Cody winning the title. However, this guy has had brushes with main-eventers for years now. He beat Rey Mysterio just a few months ago. There was a time where I could buy him competing for a World title. Instead, he now holds a midcard title. It is till better than sharing the tag titles with DiBiase. I just hope they give Cody plenty of promo time and well-developed feuds where he successfully retains the title, before eventually having him drop it to another strong performer. In my opinion, he deserves a good reign more than Zeke did. Zeke's wasn't that great, and I can only wait to see what they do with Cody.

This is one of those times where someone can call me out as a hypocrite. I am not too psyched about Cody Rhodes winning a midcard title, but I'm excited about Alex Riley feuding over one? What's the difference? Aren't both guys still stuck in the midcard, where I am complaining there is a lack of development? I also recall comparing Riley to Kofi. What do I see in Riley's situation that I do not see in Kofi and Cody's? Alex Riley is fresh. Because it seems he is growing on the fans, the WWE may wish to take advantage of that freshness by trying to develop him further. By developing him while he is in the midcard, that should make Raw's midcard more interesting, if they do it right. A lot of Kofi's title feuds, back when he was holding titles, were basic title feuds. I can't say what they have planned for Cody, but I just don't have high hopes that they will do anything too elaborate with him. So far, they seem to be consistent with Riley since breaking him from Miz, and that is why I am not going to complain about his midcard situation. As for Cody, all I can do is hope.

Summerslam is tonight. Pretty crappy card. Should I say more? Before recently, there were only 4 matches advertised. Those would be the two World title matches, the diva match, and Sheamus vs. Mark Henry. They have added Daniel Bryan vs. Wade Barrett. Sheamus vs. Mark Henry is actually a good match to advertise. Mark Henry has been built to look strong, Sheamus has turned face and is fresh again, so these two colliding sounds good. We'll see how the match itself turns out, but it should be good. Daniel Bryan facing Wade Barrett is a match that easily could have been for Wade Barrett's IC title, assuming they did this match earlier or Wade still had the title. Basic title feuds without more of a grudge storyline to it get boring. Nevertheless, still a good match. Diva match? Beth has never lost at Summerslam. Whether she wins the title tonight or not, this is the kind of woman a centerpiece diva trades the title with. I'm not excited for this match at all. Christian vs. Orton? Put me out of my misery? Will it ever end? This feud is just dragging on. They should have kept the title on face Christian and built up feuds with him and the other top heels, then bring on this feud with Orton, have him drop the title to him, and turn heel out of some bitterness reasoning. CM Punk vs. John Cena. This is the big draw they are hoping for. It sure wasn't going to be Cee Lo Green. I feel they have been rushing things too much and not putting enough emphasis on the title controversy. They keep talking about it and hyping it, but they should be able to do more with this in segments and booking. Two Champions are facing each other to find out who will walk away as the true WWE Champion. What do they do on the Raw before this match? Talk trash about each other's characters, play self-righteous, and talk about other stuff that did not do a very good job to put over the biggest element of this match, the title controversy. I would have had them continue this angle of both guys holding the title for a few more months, until Survivor Series. Really get things to a boiling point. Create real hype, not just talk about it, hold polls, and have both guys hold their title belts up to see who the fans in the arena like more. Can they not do more to create intrigue and entertainment? I am supposed to be entertained by commentators hyping something, polls, and other people cheering? I'm not. Whatever else they add to the card, it will be trivial. Just from what I see, the WWE did not do very well building up Summerslam.

No comments:

Post a Comment