Sunday, May 2, 2010

Silence Is Golden


Am I the only one who is glad that the crowd is usually dead quiet for Drew McIntyre's entrance? You get to enjoy his theme song more that way. Yeah, I am sure that is exactly why the crowd is usually not too enthusiastic too. I am sure those are the broken dreams coming from the WWE too.
Maybe it is because the WWE is having this guy be so similar to how Orton has been, but I think he does have potential to be in the main event one day. He is young, has the look, and I like hid finisher. I must be a DDT nut. I also like the arrogance. I just feel the WWE is pushing him generically horribly.
This guy has been your typical arrogant, young heel so far. Thinks he is better than everyone. I like that they threw in the added bit of Mr. McMahon personally choosing him, but that aspect has lost some steam. Attacks certain faces whenever he wants. You could see the same thing from Sheamus. Runs away and plays scared for Kane. Of course, he has already beaten Kane anyway. Kane is the jobber to the men on the way up, squasher of the men on their way down. I think Drew needs something more unique. A good storyline. Giving him the Intercontinental Championship is not enough. The belt is just decaying on him, especially if they do plan to keep it on him for a long time.
I am not saying that he should lose the title and immediately be tossed into the main event. No. Too many men are overpushed too soon like that. Randy Orton may have won the World title after losing the IC title, but remember that he did not win the World title on his first shot ever and had some epic battles with the likes of Mick Foley and Shawn Michaels before this. What epic feuds has Drew McIntyre had? What epic battles did Sheamus and Jack Swagger have before their big title wins? You can probably list some of Swagger's ECW matches for him, but Matt Hardy is not exactly the kind of guy to give Swagger the kind of rub that a Mick Foley could give Randy Orton. I will not even mention the best feud Sheamus had pre-Raw possibly being with Goldust. This stuff is pathetic. And I do not want to see Drew just wrestle one match against Undertaker then return to Matt Hardy. If he is going to feud with a guy like Taker, I want it to be a good feud. Do something to show that Drew is on that level, and not just because he is endorsed by Mr. McMahon. I understand that this little bit can be used to get him heat (spoiled child), but they can take it to another level.
If they are serious about pushing this guy to the main level, they need to do it better. If they are not, stop with the overhype for now and let him really work the midcard better. Give him better feuds and storylines there. Have him feud with both the men who have held gold before and the hungry young guys clawing for a singles title. I am thinking back to how Orton was booked as IC Champion. It was something like that which I now want to see again. Drew McIntyre is not one of my huge favorites, but I think there can be something a lot more interesting going on here.

No comments:

Post a Comment