Tuesday, May 4, 2010

The Controversial Edge Meets PG


The closing segment of this week's Raw is full of a lot of things I found interesting. Of course, it also ties back to what happened with Edge and Orton last week and Edge's brief backstage segment before his segment with Orton this week.
Let me start with that backstage segment. Edge was running down some of the controversial and fallacious things he had done before the PG reign. It seems he will not be able to have that good stuff anymore. Edge actually mocks the PG change. Sound familiar? I know tons of fans who are always doing that. They are sick of it. The WWE is once again pandering to those fans. They are picking up the idea and bringing it into kayfabe. Trust me, they are not using Edge to punish whoever came up with the idea to target a younger audience. I doubt this is a sign that they are actually ending things in that direction. Why do I even bring this up? Pandering to the views of internet fans was one of the themes I brought up in an old blog of mine. This is just another example that it does exist. Yes, the WWE does still get some ideas from you guys out there.
Edge made some promises to bring some controversy back. The Cutting Edge returned. Did Edge really shake things up? In all honesty, based just on where things have gone so far, it has been more hype than substance. Is Edge supposed to be an enemy to the PG-rating? If he is, I do not know exactly what he did that was so controversial. He speared Randy Orton simply because he was frustrated that he was drafted? That was supposed to be controversial? Batista's heel turn last year was more epic. Edge then expected Orton to join him once again? I would have been shocked if Orton had agreed, but he did not. A feud is here.
Is the controversy supposed to be found in that Orton gave Wayne Brady an RKO? Is that supposed to be against PG? Would not be the first time Orton, not to mention any other superstar, got some of one of these guest hosts. I would not say Wayne Brady killed the mood. It helped to push that Orton is your anti-hero. He strikes whoever he wants. The fans are crazy for that. I did like how Edge talked about the face who supposedly "played by the rules" to try to get the fans behind him and win the title. However, not something that really tests the limit of PG.
When Edge started talking about PG, I had hopes right there that something great would eventually happen. I want a good swerve. I want some real controversy, not fans booing John Cena and Vince forcing the commentators to call him one of the most controversial wrestlers of all time. I hope things really pick up with Edge.

No comments:

Post a Comment