Friday, April 13, 2012

Eve Eying Laurinaitis

It looks like the WWE are going down the direction of having Eve use her female assets to get in good with the GM of Raw and Smackdown, John Laurinaitis. Of course, it helps that she also had a hand in helping Laurinaitis win at Wrestlemania. When Eve gave her promo right after Wrestlemania, this was definitely one of the possibilities laid out that the WWE could have followed up with Eve. However, this is not a direction I am loving.

Is it necessary? I still don't think the storyline between Eve and Zack Ryder got a good finish. Ryder looks like an idiot after Eve manipulated him again after revealing she was using him in the first place. If you were going to put Ryder back with Eve, and then even bring Kelly Kelly into the story, you would have had a very interesting storyline right there. And what about Miz? He is the guy who beat Ryder. Seeing as how he is somewhat lost in the shuffle, teaming him with Eve to feud with Ryder and Kelly Kelly for a while would not have been horrible. It would have given more individuals some interesting focus.

Eve can potentially get a major rub from working with Laurinaitis, the top heel authority figure. Does she really deserve it? I am all for Eve being used right, but I already gave how I would have done things right now. I have no problems with the WWE pairing her with Ryder, getting her involved in the feud between Cena and Kane, turning her heel by using Cena in the storyline, and most of whatever followed for her after that, but they just seem to be pushing her up that kayfabe ladder. Too much? I understand every diva they pushed to be a success since Trish left has failed in one way or another, but will investing all this really lead to a success? I know Eve has gotten some good heel reactions in the past few months at times, but that does not necessarily mean her overness is solidified. That is to say, is she a hated heel outside of fans just chanting insults at her? Is the WWE really getting her over with this?

Just to switch things slightly, I just want to end with how the WWE is pushing Eve's gimmick. She is a woman who uses her body to get what she wants. Is this really PG? Don't get me wrong, I'm not a PG guy. I'm 26. I can spend hours on Youtube looking at hot women in their lingerie or spandex. I'm no rapist or sexist, or anything like that. I'm not a parent. I let my 5-year old nephew watch wrestling with me, but he doesn't understand storylines. Point is, this isn't an issue for me because I take it personally offensive. I just find it annoying. On the one hand, the product is toned down to attract a younger audience. On the other hand, you have slutty storylines going on. I think this might be one of the sluttiest storylines on Raw in the diva division in some time. The Bellas being prostitutes for guest hosts was more of a joke a lot of fans made up, not really the idea the WWE was pushing. And I can't think of anything else near to this present diva angle since then. They used this idea to turn Eve heel. Then they used it again to hook Eve back up with Ryder, which then led to Ryder getting humiliated again. And now, they keep it up so they can sell the idea that Eve wants to use her looks to get in good with the GM? How long do they plan to keep pushing this gimmick? I would say parents would have a right to put their foot down and not let their children watch this stuff. I'm not looking to get into a debate with anyone about the difference between the various ratings, but when I see little kids in the audience, I know the WWE is attracting an audience that this kind of storyline may push the boundaries for. I just hope the WWE doesn't push this too much harder.

No comments:

Post a Comment