Monday, September 5, 2011

Kelly Kelly Will Face Beth Phoenix Again

This is indeed typical diva division booking. Kelly Kelly defeated Beth Phoenix the first time around at Summerslam to retain the Diva's Championship. On Raw, Beth defeated Eve to get another shot at Kelly Kelly. Who do you think will win this time? History has shown multiple examples where this happens between a centerpiece and a credible jobber. And if Kelly Kelly does eventually regain the title from Beth Phoenix, it will again fit right in. I am already predicting Beth to win the title. If they wanted to give it to someone like Natalya or Tamina, they would not waste time giving Beth this shot.

And you have this great debate springing up from comments some of the divas have made about this whole angle involving Beth & Natalya and the other divas. I find it very disheartening. At the same time, very smart move by the WWE. They are getting the fans involved in what is going on. They are playing with the idea that the opinions of the fans matter. If you feel you actually matter in something, is it hard to believe you will more likely take more interest in it? Fact is, WWE is still controlling what will happen. And that is why I find this disheartening. They are framing the debate. Should the diva division die to be more pleasing to fans of serious wrestling and wrestlers like Beth and Natalya? Or are women like Kelly Kelly and Eve working hard and earning their spot? Which side are the various fans on? What is their opinion? My opinion? The eye-candy divas definitely can prove themselves. But that is not my issue. I am going beyond opinion. I, and I know you are as sick of me saying it as I am, am doing analysis. My major issue is how the WWE is actually running the division. I do have some issues with certain women here and there, such as Michelle McCool and her inability to get properly over, despite her monster push, but I do not praise all the serious female wrestlers used as jobbers and bash the Diva Search contestants who have taken a prominent position on the roster over the years. I believe it is easy to have an opinion. When it comes to actually thinking and figuring out what the WWE is really doing, that is harder, that is analysis, and that is not what the WWE is trying to get the fans to do. They are basically telling them to let their feelings out. This is exactly the kind of environment where I will have a tough time trying to explain that the WWE chooses the type of women they want to make into the centerpieces, uses women with wrestling ability to help get the centerpieces over, and then mistreats these jobbers for the simple reason that they were never meant to get very over themselves in the first place. This is the booking practice I want changed. Getting rid of the eye-candy divas is not my concern. I think asking for that is pretty stupid, and not something the WWE will do anyway. The WWE itself is the target to me, not any type of diva or one individual diva...except Michelle McCool.

One last thing. Gail Kim. Last time I checked, the WWE still has not made an official statement on her release. Unless I missed it, which could have happened, they are not wanting to let her go. It is funny. They did not appreciate her at all for years. Even when she did get a push or a storyline, it was crap. Her romance angle with Daniel Bryan? How did that end again? Pretty much the same way as John Cena and Mickie James? Then there was her push in early 2010 against Maryse. She got it because Melina was injured and she was the only credible face jobber with solid experience. She jobbed to Maryse, and that was it. All the build they gave her went nowhere else. Her recent situation could have really brought light to what the WWE is doing to their diva division, which would have been exactly the kind of thing I would want. Here you have another reason I dislike what the WWE is doing by treating this current Raw diva feud between Kelly Kelly and Beth Phoenix like it is a debate. It is burying Gail Kim's situation. The Bellas and all the other divas can point fingers all over the place and praise whoever else they want, but what Gail Kim was doing was genuine. They can ask why the mistreatment is happening, but your answer is found right with Gail Kim. It is not enough to say the WWE does not care about the divas and have mistreated so many women. Someone can come up with reasons to say otherwise. But when you go down to the foundation of what the WWE is really doing, there is no way out for the WWE. They are guilty. And now, they are exploiting the situation, similar to how they did with CM Punk, to get people talking and interested. I hope their ratings come in at a 3.2.

No comments:

Post a Comment