Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Alberto Del Rio: The Master Heel

Alberto Del Rio returned to Raw this week. They ran a little angle of him being scared of John Cena to explain why he was not around last week. They also did something else I liked. They had Del Rio go around and manipulate other heels into trying to take out Cena for him. This led to the main event. This put over Del Rio very well. He is crafty. He has henchmen. He failed to attack Cena at the end of Raw. Can't win them all, can you? Nevertheless, this is good build. Del Rio did not even have to step into the ring for a match for any of this to happen. This once again illustrates that the WWE cares more about character than actual wrestling. If they are spending a lot of time developing and hyping your character, they most likely care about you, whether building you up for your own sake or to job to another. If they only regularly push you in the ring, you are either a simple jobber to them or being used as filler.

One last thing I want to say about Alberto Del Rio. Yes, he is one of my favorites. I think he has potential to be very over. However, I am not stupid enough to believe he is there yet. Also, I do not believe this monster push he has gotten since last year and the other advantages they have given him (gimmick) automatically make him a success. They have done much to build his credibility, but credibility is not the same as entertaining. The WWE seems to want to push the success they have had with this guy, but I think they are getting ahead of themselves a bit. Is he over? Can he really draw? Can he make money? Being a kayfabe success is not enough. Then again, I remember riding on the subway a few months ago and noticing someone had carved in Del Rio's crown symbol and "ADR" underneath it on the bench. Thugs like him. Who am I to argue against those who have the power to mug me? All this being said, I would be very interested to see how they treat this guy after Cena does eventually win back the title in the future and feuds with another heel. I cannot picture all this investment going down the drain, but who will get screwed over for Del Rio's benefit?

No comments:

Post a Comment