Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Summer Of Joker Sting

The last elaborate major storyline TNA had revolved around Kurt Angle and Jeff Jarrett. That's over. Both men have gone their separate ways. What has taken its place as a major focus of the company? Joker Sting and his issues with Hulk Hogan. It has got a lot of people talking, whether they are fans of the gimmick or not. I decided to briefly give my 2 cents.

I like it. Sting is crazy and intense. You can complain about a feud between Hogan and Sting holding back younger talent from getting that major focus, but I am just talking about the gimmick and storyline itself right now. This is a good example that a heel does not come in one flavor and a face does not come in one flavor either. As someone who watched WCW over a decade ago, I'm used to Sting having this silent, mysterious gimmick. I'm talking about the black and white face paint and his Crow gimmick. I like that he has really reinvented himself. This late in his career, it really does show that he is one of the best. The best have to have that versatility and adaptability. Personally, I think I will enjoy this storyline more than the love triangle that Angle and Jarrett just had.

In case you missed it, Sting does regain the World title. Poor Anderson, but I am sure opportunity will present itself for him again in the future. He won the title twice this year alone. His second reign may have been weak, but his first was slightly bit more respectable. Let me put it this way, Christian's first World title reign on Smackdown makes Anderson's look like a reign of doom you would expect the WWE to give to Cena. All that being said, I don't mind Sting winning back the title that much. He is being pushed as the crusader against Hogan. With Mick Foley, the "Network Representative", out of TNA, what else would Sting have on his side as leverage against Hogan? That has definitely been an idea TNA likes to push. Titles = Power. I don't think I would have liked this storyline so much if they push Sting continuously as the underdog and Hogan and his crew as super strong. Not only does Sting have this intense character, he now has the major title back on his side. That keeps the heels on their feet. I like that.

Had Sting gone to the WWE earlier this year, do you think you would have seen any character like he is portraying now? More than likely, he would have gotten one Wrestlemania match and then not be used again after that feud was over. It would have been hyped as one respectable icon in wrestling taking on some other respectable icon, probably Taker. If that did not happen, Sting would end up like Kevin Nash. Did you forget Nash returned to the WWE? Did he really do anything epic? Not really. Just that Royal Rumble appearance, which was not that huge a use of him. Instead of an overrated use of Sting in the WWE, I think it is good that fans are getting to see a side of Sting they may like. Instead of promotion hype doing the job to make Sting a draw, which would have happened if Sting went to the WWE, Sting actually gets to go out there and work his character himself. And it is entertaining to me. I honestly hope this works out well for TNA.

No comments:

Post a Comment