Friday, July 22, 2011

Christian/Orton: The End

When Christian lost his first World's Heavyweight Championship just days after winning it to Randy Orton, I started talking about how the storyline would progress between these two every week. Now that Christian has regained the title, I am going to stop the weekly updates on this feud and just look back on it all. The feud is definitely not over, but I think I have seen enough.

Christian won the title by disqualification. Lame. Pathetic. The very next night on Raw, they were having Michael Cole hype that all the tournament matches were just like title matches, saying that you could only win by pinfall or submission. Except when you're Christian? But having him win it like that was not the end. They had Randy Orton destroy him after the match. I can understand creating a situation where they may tease Daniel Bryan cashing in, but was all that really necessary?

Then on Raw, they hype Smackdown's main event. Randy Orton vs. Kane. The centerpiece, even though he lost the title, is still in the main event. That does not surprise me. What I do not like is that they hyped how Orton had snapped and gone crazy on Christian, then just turn it over to Orton and Kane. What about Christian? I know he ends up facing Zeke, Champion vs. Champion. My issue is that he ends up buried quite a bit, even though he won the title. I think you can see why I do not even want to go on talking about this feud every week.

I never really doubted that Christian would eventually win back the title. My concern was whether they would be successful in making the next title win mean as much for him as the first should have and whether they would do a good job to make it all entertaining. Well, the title win definitely meant something. Sadly, it looks like it meant more for Randy Orton than the punching bag who now holds the title. As far as entertainment goes, I do not feel they delivered in how they handled the storyline. Sure, Christian and Orton put on some great matches at times, but the feud itself did not feel like as much of an draw as it should have been. Again, it is not over, but I have no faith in the WWE after what they did this week.

When all this first happened, fans were very upset. Chris Jericho said to relax. This might all just be part of a bigger storyline. I never really doubted that a bigger storyline would come, just like I did not doubt that Christian may regain the title. Just like I said about two months ago, for whose benefit was all this? The WWE failed to make Christian's second moment very meaningful for him, making his first title reign ending so soon look not that worth it in retrospect, and Orton is still centerpiece. The two things I did not want to happen did happen. Are Christian fans jumping for joy now? He won the title because Orton low-blowed him, then got beaten up some more. Truly a proud moment for Christian and his fans. No, not really.

No comments:

Post a Comment