Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Situational Divas

A while back, I talked about creative interest and how it relates to hype in developing stars. The third thing you look at to determine whether or not the WWE is serious in developing a diva to be a star is consistency. Consistency is the theme I am going to talk about more today. Specifically, I am going to talk about it in relation to credible jobbers.

Credible jobbers are those divas primarily being used to put over the centerpiece and be used as filler when the centerpiece is not around or does not need to be involved in title matters. Beyond that, nothing too huge. The WWE is obviously going to be naturally inconsistent with these women. Nothing needs to go wrong for these women to lose their push.

Let me introduce another term for these type of divas. I already gave it away in the title. You can see these divas as situational divas. They only get pushed when certain situations come up. When the centerpiece is getting a title feud, that creates a situation where she needs someone to feud against. When the centerpiece is injured, that creates a situation where you need an interim centerpiece to fill in until she returns. In the last week, you had a football coach collapse in the middle of a game and that led to an assistant coach having to fill in for him for the rest of that game. You also had another coach need heart surgery and one of his assistant coaches will be filling in for him for the next few games. Back to the divas, situational divas will primarily see their best days when they are pushed in these situations. Outside of that, they get things where they don't get as much hype and creative interest.

Why don't I consider the centerpiece and periphery divas situational divas? Because no particular situations need to come up for them to get a good push. The WWE diva division is a centerpiece-driven division. They want to have one woman they develop as that central focus. It is what they like to do. It is just the way they do things. As for periphery divas, no necessary situation comes up for them to get their angles. AJ Lee did not need to be the GM of Raw last year. No diva needed to be in that situation. Lita did not need to be alongside Edge during his rise to the main-event. No diva needed to be in that situation. Chyna did not need to be wrestling the men on a consistent basis over a decade ago. No diva needed to be in that situation. You might sometimes have a periphery diva put over a centerpiece, like how Lita did in 2006 for Trish Stratus, but the fact that the WWE is going to remain more consistent with a periphery diva than a situational diva in pushing them well is what separates them. Back when I compared the diva division to an ice cream cone, I said periphery divas were like the extra toppings. They're optional and not the main, necessary ingredient. The centerpiece is the main focus, periphery divas are the other stars developed in the division, and situational divas are pushed dependent on what is going on with the centerpiece.

Let me try to put it simply. When the diva division is running the way the WWE would like to have it, and not in a dark age like you have now, credible jobbers are situational divas, periphery divas are optional divas, and the centerpiece is the necessary diva. A successful centerpiece is necessary for the WWE to have the kind of diva division they want, based on how they have handled the division from the time it started to where we are today. During a dark age without a centerpiece, like right now, opportunities just naturally fall to these other divas.

Personally, I am going to stick to calling women used primarily as jobbers to the centerpiece and interim centerpiece credible jobbers. I just wanted to introduce another term to help explain this type of career in the diva division. You can use whichever term you want. Make up your own. As long as you understand it, that's all that matters. The term "credible jobbers" sells the idea that these women have wrestling credibility and are used mainly to put over the centerpiece. The term "situational divas" sells the idea that these women are not going to be pushed well on a consistent basis, only when a particular situation arises for them to get good focus.   

Since I am on the subject of terminology, let me talk a little about my way of thinking when I come up with terms. I like to come up with terms that relate to the idea I am talking about. I like terms that people might easily imagine or understand.

Centerpiece - star developed to be the central focus of the division
Periphery Diva - star developed on the periphery, or on the side, of the centerpiece
Credible Jobber - diva possessing wrestling credibility used primarily to put over the centerpiece
Jobber To The Centerpiece - person being developed to put over the centerpiece in a feud
Interim Centerpiece - person being pushed as filler when the centerpiece is away

And whatever other terms I use, I think they are rather plain and simple. I don't try to get tricky with my terms. What does the term "islets of Langerhans" have to do with the pancreas? What does the term "pancreas" have to do with your digestive and endocrine system? What the hell does "endocrine" even mean? Did I ever mention I was initially a Natural Science major in college? Did horrible terms have anything to do with me switching to English? In any case, when I analyze the diva division, I am not going to come up with terms based on anyone's fancy last name or some Greek/Latin etymology. I would rather people just understand what I mean.

No comments:

Post a Comment