Friday, March 16, 2012

Wrestlemania's Bottom Three

There are some big feuds being developed for Wrestlemania. That is to be expected. This is the time of year for big hype from the WWE. I want to talk right now about how the WWE has recently been developing the 3 feuds that I don't like that much. Those will be Sheamus/Bryan, Orton/Kane, and the diva match.

First, you have the Royal Rumble winner, Sheamus, taking on the World's Heavyweight Champion, Daniel Bryan. If you have read what I have been saying about this feud since Sheamus earned the shot, you might think I am pessimistic about everything. No matter what the WWE does, I seem negative. It all comes down to a matter of expectations. When I see the WWE will not live up to my expectations, I modify my expectations. Sometimes, that means lowering them. Other times, it means hoping the WWE will do something else possibly even better than my original expectations. Instead of repeating everything I have felt about this title feud from the start, let me go back to the point where Orton returned from injury. Since I realized that the WWE was not going to develop a good feud between just Sheamus and Bryan, I started to like the idea of Orton getting in there. Then I see Kane enter the picture to feud with Orton. I'll get to that feud in a minute. Back to the Smackdown World title feud, how has it developed between those two men recently? They have inserted AJ a little more into what is going on, but other than that, no strong development. Even that development does not raise the bar of this match to what you would expect for someone who won the Rumble. Bryan's relationship with AJ is probably more interesting at the moment than the title feud. And even that romance angle can use more focus, but it will probably be getting that in time. Aside from so many wins and momentum, Sheamus is almost left out here.

The storyline reason for Kane feuding with Orton will be revealed on Smackdown this week. It makes sense and sounds good. He is still playing mind games with Orton, but his character has been diminished since Cena, which isn't shocking. My main problem is that they have been having Orton look way too strong too soon in this feud. The way things are going, they might as well have Kane win this feud. But I would think this match, which is on Orton's birthday, will go to him. Meaning, Orton will win it. They need to give Kane some major momentum in the coming weeks. They did it for Jericho/Punk, so I am sure they will step in with something here.

And then you have the diva match. I talked about lack of good storyline development and hype in the Smackdown title feud. Momentum is my issue in Kane/Orton. I don't even know where to start with this diva match. A storyline was being developed between Eve and Kelly Kelly. This was a personal storyline. It was really between just these two women. If anyone else really had a business in the match that should have happened between these two at Wrestlemania, it would be Zack Ryder, a guy. If they wanted to insert another guy to make it a tag match, that would make sense. But a match between just the two women would have been fine. The storyline was heading there. The only thing that was missing was the proper hype to build it. And they didn't build it. It is going to be Beth Phoenix and Eve vs. Kelly Kelly and Maria Menounos. Not to be rude, but I don't give a damn about Maria Menounos. What do these two extra women have to do with Eve's heel turn and initial issues developing with Kelly Kelly? The WWE have thrown them in there now, that's for sure. And with so little time left to now develop this tag feud, you are going to have to do a rush job to hype it more properly and build up the momentum, if you want to make it good. What am I even talking about? This is a celebrity match. This is a diva match. Why would the WWE even bother building it right? To them, the glamor will draw. Luckily, I'm sure the feud between Eve and Kelly will be developed better after Wrestlemania. The WWE needs to do something interesting with their women. Last time I checked, this Maria you will be seeing a lot of in the coming weeks is not one of their women.

No comments:

Post a Comment