Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Importance Of NXT

Why should I even be talking about NXT? Being honest, I don't even watch the show. However, I do follow the spoilers. I do know what is going on over there, even if I do not find most of it worth remembering. Nevertheless, I am aware that I may sometimes say a certain wrestler is not getting pushed, treated well, or doing anything relevant, but yet that person may be looking like the most important person in the universe on NXT. That is why I want to explain why I may not mention NXT angles when I talk about someone like Zack Ryder or Maryse.

I think I can pretty much end the discussion as quickly as I have started it. Remember WWE's ECW? Especially during the final year or so? I believe I have spoken about this before. Men and women made to look like they were a vital part of that show were then made to look like mediocrities when they would later go to one of the major brands. Zack Ryder was treated as a serious contender for the ECW title at one time. There was a huge difference between that and his "title shot" against Sheamus on Raw last year. But even jobbing to Sheamus got him more camera time on Raw than where he is at now. I could run down a list of names, including Christian, Katie Lea, Tiffany, Rosa Mendes, and so on. Very few people go from being a part of the ECW roster to being a well-pushed main-eventer. Different people may have different definitions for what a "well-pushed main-eventer" is, but let me just say that no one in the position of a John Cena or Randy Orton would be wasted on the ECW roster. If you even examine most of the ECW successes, you will see that they are the type of main-eventers developed frequently to put over someone the WWE would rather have as a centerpiece, then they get depushed. Look at CM Punk. Need I say more?

Back to NXT. NXT pretty much took over where ECW left off. I am talking about more than just the time slot. At first, it featured important stars as the Pros. I would say things started to go downhill after Season 2. Now look at it. Zack Ryder? Hornswoggle? Poor William Regal? Maryse? In case anyone has forgotten, Maryse used to be pushed at the centerpiece diva of Raw. After I saw her performing not as seriously and solidly as she should have since her return in late 2009, I am not surprised they did give up on her. Instead of releasing her, they have found a purpose for her on NXT. She actually looks relevant there. Back on Raw, she has not looked like she matters since Kharma attacked her over a month ago. The major focus is off her. The same goes for the men. In almost every case, the men do not have two angles going for them. They do not have an important NXT storyline and a Raw/Smackdown feud that has any real meaning. Back when NXT first started, guys like Miz would have angles going on for NXT and Raw. Things would mix. It was more interesting.

I would say that almost everyone on NXT right now would have probably been a candidate for release if the show wasn't dragging on. The few exceptions are those with connections with people in high places, like William Regal, and possibly those who are only there to act as comic relief anyway, like Hornswoggle. They are not really that relevant. Interestingly enough, there may not have been a huge, regular Spring Cleaning of the roster, but some of the releases that did take place a few weeks ago were indeed NXT Rookies. Nice coincidence there.

To wrap it up, just because a wrestler is being pushed on NXT, that does not mean the push actually matters. When you hear people complaining about Zack Ryder not being used right, they don't want to see him getting used on Superstars or NXT. They want to see him on Raw in a real feud. Stars are pretty much almost being buried if all they have is this web show. It is obvious that the WWE is not putting as much interest in it either. The last winner deserves to be released. I can go without his crappy promos, and he does not seem too unique either. Kaitlyn is not doing anything useful. Wade Barrett still has some promise, although he was the winner back when NXT was still something. Kaval got released for Christmas. If the Rookies are pushed like this, what hope do the Pros have, especially when this is all they pretty much have in many cases to stay over?

No comments:

Post a Comment