Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Christian's Title Run...

I am going to spoil what is going to happen on this week's Smackdown, but you've probably heard the news anyway.

At the Smackdown tapings tonight, Randy Orton defeated Christian for the World's Heavyweight Championship. Last week, I said Orton would be face of the brand. He would be top guy. I said I would be surprised if he spent a long time in the midcard. I also said Christian had what it takes to deserve a title run. Now I am saying that I am surprised by how fast the WWE has handed Orton the title and the official top spot. I am surprised with how they have tossed Christian's title reign in the trash.

I am a big Orton fan, but this is crap. Christian could not even get one successful title defense? Have this match with Orton end in a DQ. Have Mark Henry interfere. Have Christian turn heel. Let Orton win it at the next PPV in a built feud. Christian could have feuded with a guy like Sheamus, while Orton did feud in the midcard with a guy like Mark Henry or Cody Rhodes. Poor hype in these feuds? It would be up to the writers to see otherwise. If done right, good match quality and entertaining promos might have been enough to carry the show, especially if "star power" was not there.

This is somewhat like Kane's first title run. It lasted a day. Thing is, Kane was still pretty new when he won the title. Christian has been in the WWE for over 10 years (ignoring his run in TNA). A moment, and I do mean MOMENT, is all he gets at Extreme Rules? I can say a lot more about this decision and Christian, but I will wait to see how the WWE furthers the feud.

2 comments:

  1. This SERIOUSLY made my heart sank when I read the spoilers.Not just as a Christian fan, but the way WWE treated this Whole situation. Vince couldnt trust Christian to carry the ball? Didn't Vince just this past Monday during the Rock's celebration that he took a chance with Rock with the ball? Couldn't he do the same for Christian?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They may still give the belt to Christian again down the future. As far as I am concerned, that does not undo the crappy first reign.

    ReplyDelete