Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Christian/Orton: Week 2

The WWE took some time out on Raw to talk about the title change on Smackdown. In addition to that, this week's Smackdown is taped and ready to go. How is the drama between Randy Orton and Christian progressing?

Let me start with the message they were conveying in the little mention and video for Christian losing the title to Orton last week. First of all, this is not some kind of shot at Christian to humiliate him further. No. This is just meant to set the tone of the storyline. That out of the way, let me tell you what I do not like. What is the premise for the controversy? Why should we feel bad for Christian according to the storyline and kayfabe? Because he had to defend the title so soon after he won it and he lost it? That is what was unfair? Not in my book. What I am not happy with was the WWE's booking decision, not so much this weak kayfabe message. I think a lot of fans out there have the same feeling. Let me go back to the WWE trying to sell this as unfair to Christian. That is stupid. John Cena had to defend the title the very night after he won it. Kane lost his first World title the night after he won it. Mankind has a title reign that lasted that long as well. A lot of wrestlers defend a title the night after they win it. Some even lose it the night after they win it. That alone is not a screw job or reason to feel sympathy for the loser. Getting screwed over by Money in the Bank or when Batista beat Cena for the title after Cena had just won an Elimination Chamber match, things like that can make you feel some sympathy for the loser. Christian's reign not only lasted longer than some of what I just mentioned, he was not actually screwed in the match itself. Both he and Orton had competed days before at Extreme Rules. Neither were 100% fresh in that respect. Orton did not cheat to win. I'll ask again, what is the kayfabe reason for the controversy? Why should people feel bad for Christian? The WWE is not providing a good enough reason to cover up that the real reason people are upset goes beyond kayfabe.

Then again, all this just makes it easier to turn Christian heel, right? If someone does turn heel, he has all the wrong reasons on his side to be face? He was not really screwed (in kayfabe), as I just pointed out. Smackdown needs a top heel, so they will turn Christian heel. Fine. Let me repeat my major concerns. First, they will not make his second title win mean as much as his first should have. Second, they will still book whatever reign he gets poorly. Third, he will eventually be dashed aside like a CM Punk. I will see how the WWE does. Can they make the crappy first reign lead to something better for Christian and the fans?

Those were my major concerns. Let me talk about one of my minor concerns. Will they make the feud entertaining and interesting as it builds up. From just reading spoilers and not yet seeing how things play out on this week's Smackdown, it seems they are still pushing both Orton and Christian as faces. They go over Mark Henry and Sheamus in a tag match. Christian will have a rematch in a few weeks. It looks like they are going to draw the heel turn out, much like they did for CM Punk when he feuded with Jeff Hardy. I prefer out of nowhere heel turns myself, but drawn out ones can be good too. Michelle McCool's was not, but that is because she lacked the charisma to pull off being a good heel, face, tweener, or whatever. Even with a gimmick and constant storylines, she was failing to get over. CM Punk is a successful heel. By the way, I am not talking about in terms of winning titles. The goal is to connect with fans and this guy is capable of that. Problem is, when was the last time he really accomplished something great in terms of booking. This is what I think would happen to a heel Christian. He will become a midcard former World Champ like Punk very quickly. I should have confidence in the WWE, but their booking of Christian so far will not be forgotten. Back to my main point, is this entertaining and interesting? Christian congratulates Orton, heels come out to try to cause trouble, match is made, faces win, and no turn as of yet. Once again, it has not aired yet, so a lot of details about how the two main players interact has not been seen. Just speaking prematurely (never good to do) from what I read in spoilers, this seems boring. I really hope they do not push this sympathy thing for Christian too much. I have a hard time feeling bad for this guy in kayfabe. In reality, once again, I feel bad for the booking of his reign. This guy has beaten men who have held World titles before. He has put on good matches. But to sell him as if he may not be good enough to hang in the main event? I'm not buying it. I doubt this will get ratings very high. It is not interesting.

I am not talking about the option of turning Orton back into a heel, but it would be a nice swerve if they did pull that. If it comes, I'll discuss it then. Until then, just from week 2 of this "bigger storyline", I am not impressed with where this is heading for Christian.

No comments:

Post a Comment