Monday, November 22, 2010

Sympathetic Cena

Cena got his grand sympathetic moment on Raw tonight. Randy Orton retained the title at Survivor Series, which means Cena failed Wade Barrett's order to make sure Barrett walked out WWE Champion, and thus Cena is fired. It's kayfabe.

I am disappointed in how the WWE handled the storyline. No, I am not sad that Cena got fired in terms of the soap opera. I wanted to see an actual swerve. I wanted to see something shocking and fresh. Instead, I get honorable John Cena doing the honorable thing. For the last 24 hours, so many fans give him nothing but sympathy. It leaves a bad taste in my mouth. I did not mind it so much when the fans seemed to feel so bad for Cena when Batista took the WWE Championship from him earlier in this year, even though it was stupid considering it was obvious Cena would still make it to Wrestlemania and get his revenge on Batista eventually. He is the centerpiece. But this current storyline is just too sugary sweet. I am not entertained. I have not been really entertained by this Nexus angle since their random attacks became less and less fresh. Having Cena join the group had so much potential. I feel they dropped the ball.

Then there is Barrett and Orton themselves. All this talk about Cena, it is easy to forget that this was supposed to be their title feud. Randy Orton had been getting the short end of the stick since he won the title. Cena was still trumping him. I do not feel things will be too much better for Orton now. That is another reason it would have been better to have Orton get screwed by Cena. Barrett gets the title, becoming the first, and probably only, brand new WWE Champion of 2010. Jack Swagger was a brand new World's Heavyweight Champion. Sheamus won the WWE Championship last year, although bringing it into 2010. The agenda Nexus has also gets furthered. I do not think putting the title on him now would have been rushing it. He failed twice at PPVs already, before Survivor Series. Besides, he had a better build for the title than Sheamus. Orton and Cena would have then been able to branch into a feud. It might have even culminated at Wrestlemania, if done right. These two have never had a singles match at the big event. It could have been a strong feud.

No comments:

Post a Comment