Monday, May 22, 2017

Jinder Mahal Wins WWE Championship

Well, I did say Jinder Mahal had a better chance winning the WWE Championship than Dolph Ziggler had beating Nakamura. And Mahal did win it. Honestly, I did not think it was likely. Then again, the WWE has done some crazy booking recently. This is the most out-of-nowhere WWE Championship win since Sheamus beating Cena for the his first title run.

Jinder Mahal is a guy I have made fun of for years. I see a mixed reaction from fans on the Internet. Some love it. Some are wondering how many viewers Smackdown will lose. Some are wondering how Jinder Mahal has not failed a wellness test. For those that love it, outside of those of Indian descent, I would say it is more the shock value and someone like Mahal winning it than fans really loving this guy. I am not saying no one likes him. I am just saying a lot of it are bandwagoners.

For those that did want him to win the title, I have paid attention to what they said. Again, I am talking outside of Indian fans. The other fans are pointing out how hard Jinder Mahal has worked, his physique, and the fact that he gets a reaction. As far as hard work goes, you mean to tell me someone like Cesaro or Sami Zayn does not work hard? As for his new look, what happened to smarks hating Vince McMahon loving muscular men? And as far as his overness goes, I remember when he got no reaction at all during his first run. I remember fans laughing about it. I wouldn't make too much of that overness. If the WWE did not push him as well as they have, he would not be getting it. If they pushed him as poorly as they did in his first run, he would not be over. If they pushed him as poorly as they did during his first few months back, he would not be over. If they pushed him as poorly as they push Mickie James, he would not be over. I think you can get the idea. This guy is a product of his push. I am not impressed by Jinder Mahal.

Even with the work the WWE put into this guy, he is still someone that was just a jobber two months ago.  You can't push someone like crap for a long period of time and just plug them in and expect them to be great. Mahal did get some heavy, rushed build, but I would say it is not enough. If it really was so easy to do this kind of thing, the WWE would have no issues. Fans would always buy into whatever the WWE was doing. The WWE would be as hot as they were in the Attitude Era. The same proportion of the overall audience back then that was interested in the WWE would still be here. Because there are more people in the world today than back then, that means the WWE would have even more fans today. And ratings would be a lot better than they are. No DVR or Hulu excuses. This is must-see TV and the fans would be tuning in to see Raw and Smackdown live. But that's not happening. And that is because the WWE is not as hot as they were and are making terrible mistakes these days. I would say putting the WWE Championship on a jobber falls in that category.

No comments:

Post a Comment