Monday, May 15, 2017

Does Kurt Angle Add Anything As Raw GM?

A few weeks ago, Kurt Angle got inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame. They followed that up by making him the new Raw GM, taking Mick Foley's place. How has Kurt Angle been doing? Ratings certainly have not been up since the WWE brought back one of the biggest names from the days the company was much hotter than it is today. Aside from that, what can be said?

One thing I noticed is some fans saying they wished Kurt Angle could be more like his goofy self. They understand he has to be serious for his GM role, but these fans think goofy Kurt was the best Kurt. I don't know how much that will really help the company turn things around. Regardless, I am sure there is plenty of time to get more of that Kurt Angle down the line.

As GM, has he really done anything major? I am not talking about decisions the WWE are making that they will attribute to Kurt Angle, like trades. I am talking about major storylines or interactions involving Kurt Angle. I mean, you can stick anyone in his position and have them make the trades, book the matches, and that kind of thing. But this is Kurt Angle being the GM. Has there really been anything special to take advantage of him being in that role? I don't really feel it. I guess there will be more when Triple H and Stephanie McMahon come back.

I am not going to go too much into comparing Kurt Angle to Mick Foley, but I just felt Foley stood out more in this position. Is it his promo style? He obviously couldn't keep going in the position, but he at least felt like he was trying to be that lovable character with honor and not totally selling out to be corporate. It wasn't always smooth, but I can see something there that I do not see with Kurt Angle, yet. What is his identity?

How about fan reactions? He is getting the "You suck!" chants. But that is more just fans playing along with the old fad. It is not a sign of them really disliking him or making fun of him. I do wonder what his reactions would be like if that fad wasn't there. Because I do not really feel a strong love here. This is a guy in a situation that can definitely get stale fast. He'll still get the chant, because fans love fads and things to play along with, and wrestling fans will always respect him, but the WWE is doing enough already to please wrestling fans and that is not helping them improve on their inefficiencies. If they want to get the wider audience caring again, Kurt Angle will need to be more than just the guy getting "You suck!" chants out of nostalgic love and being respected by wrestling fans.

No comments:

Post a Comment