Friday, June 10, 2016

Minor Slammiversary 2016 Preview

TNA is having a PPV this Sunday and one of the matches I am interested in is Gail Kim vs. Maria. These two have had issues for months. I have spoken about it a few times. The match will probably be terrible, but I am interested in seeing how TNA will handle it.

Heading into the weekend, they are handling it with an injury angle. Maria is teasing a broken hand. It adds some drama to things. I still question whether someone like Maria even deserves this push. It obviously will not be a great match, with or without the injury angles and sidekicks Maria has. At a time when the WWE is hyping improvements to their women's division to make it seem more respectable, this kind of feud for TNA does not help them maintain their image of being respectable.

Nothing is on the line in this match. This is really just Gail Kim wanting to get her hands on Maria to beat her around a little. I have said before that the stakes should be raised in this match. Not only have Gail Kim beat Maria, but take away Maria's control of the KO division. Have Gail put her career on the line. Injury angles are one way to add some drama to a feud, but I don't think this feud has reached its climax.

What do I think happens this Sunday? Gail Kim will get her hands on Maria. But there will probably be some kind of shenanigans for Maria to win. That will continue the feud to a point where it can end in a bigger way.

The KO title seems like somewhat of an afterthought in all this. All the creative interest is in Gail Kim vs. Maria. Nevertheless, Jade defends against Sienna, one of Maria's sidekicks. Putting the title on Jade wasn't enough. TNA should have done a better job with her from a creative standpoint. That is what will really help her get over. This match can go either way. I would not be surprised if Sienna won the title to bring a little more credibility to Maria's group. Better than Maria winning the title herself. But I will say Jade retains here. Maria can screw Jade out of the title later on.

Switching to a men's feud, how about Matt and Jeff? The Hardys are feuding against each other. And it certainly has been an interesting feud. Matt Hardy has gone crazy. There have been some interesting, elaborate segments to push this feud. I would say this feud is more interesting than the title feud between Lashley and Drew Galloway, which I won't even bother talking about.

Of course, many fans are ready to induct this feud into Wrestlecrap, and it probably does belong there. Nevertheless, it is getting people talking. And Impact did see its best ratings on its new network recently. It may not be a huge jump to the numbers they had five years ago, but it is a good sign. I doubt Lashley vs. Galloway is the feud that has people interested enough to watch. TNA has to do it by creating drama. For the women, Gail Kim vs. Maria is the feud that has the most drama to it, even though the match will not be respectable. For the men, Matt Hardy vs. Jeff Hardy has the drama to it, even though there is a lot of dumb things involved. I can't criticize them too much for some of the things they are doing here, even if I don't like some of it.

Who wins this match? This is one feud I would like to see end this Sunday. I don't know how much more wrestling fans can take. And I don't want to think what else TNA might try to keep this feud going. Jeff Hardy wins. I'll just leave it at that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment