Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Grading Roman Reigns

Been a while since I did one of these. First, what type of career is Roman Reigns currently getting? For pretty much all the individuals I have done this for in the past, it was easy to classify them based on how they were being pushed. It usually didn't take long. I would probably have gotten to it already. The interesting thing about Roman Reigns is that he is in the process of being developed to be a top star. This guy might one day be the centerpiece (A+ player). The WWE definitely wants him as at least a true main-eventer (A player). I'll wait until he is actually holding his first World title before I say he has moved on to that next step. Until then, he is an A- player.

How about critiquing him as a performer? His best asset is his look. Women love it. Aside from that, he has a lot that he is lacking. He is very limited in the ring. Most of the moves he utilizes are pretty basic. Punch. Spear. He does work the crowd. His mic skills are also very poor. There was a time just a short while ago when the WWE was having him do these promos that he just could not execute well. That might have hurt his connection with the fans. He should just play a badass face. He just does not have the versatility to be the next Rock. Versatility is something that separates the A players from the A+ players. After a while, certain performers might find a certain role that they play very well. And that's fine. But how about those performers that show some versatility by taking on another role that they also end up making work out? They deserve that additional praise. Even if Roman Reigns cannot play the role the WWE wants him to have, they just have to build around what does work for him. Hope he improves while doing that. Right now, I would give him a C+.

His connection with the fans is something you have to wonder about. Just two months ago, he supposedly won the "Superstar of the Year" Slammy over Daniel Bryan and others by getting more fan votes than them. Recently, the WWE did a poll on their website about who out of Bryan and Reigns deserves the title match at Wrestlemania. Daniel Bryan is winning that. It isn't even close. Paying attention to other polls and just fan reactions, it is obvious Bryan is more over out of the two. Again, women love Roman Reigns for his look. Smarks and fans that lean more towards wrestling over entertainment are not fans as much. The popular thing is to turn a guy like him heel and that will fix the problem. That is what fans are always saying about John Cena. I think Roman Reigns can connect well with the fans as a face. He just needs the right character and not to be pushed too hard. After what happened at the Royal Rumble, you might think that he was in the same position Batista was in last year. Since then, I think fans have warmed back up to him slightly. It will depend on the audience. He is not bringing A-tier results, but I will not say he has no connection with the fans or a completely sour connection with the fans. I would give him a B.

As I said before, Roman Reigns is still in the process of being developed. A year from now, he will probably be in a different position in terms of how he is being pushed, as well as his connection with the fans and his overall talent. Hopefully. If I was to reevaluate him in a year, I would expect to see changes. Let me give my predictions. I would expect him to have become an established main-eventer, not yet pushed as centerpiece (A player). I think he will add more to his moves and solidify a character he can play well (B+). In terms of overness, with all that time, I think the WWE would have to have been able to come up with something to clean up his recent issues (A-). The only thing that could really screw him over is another injury or the WWE just giving up on him. I don't think the latter is very likely. If I'm still doing this in a year and I remember what I wrote here, it will be interesting to see if Reigns did improve at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment