Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Brock Lesnar's First Challenger: John Cena

The first contender for Brock Lesnar's title is the obvious one. John Cena gets his rematch at Night of Champions. And the story to this feud is also an obvious one. After Lesnar destroyed him, can Cena bounce back and overcome? They brought in legends to talk about it. They had Cena show he could do the kind of thing Lesnar did. I'll talk about that more in a moment.

Should John Cena be the one to conquer The Conqueror? After last night, I definitely got that feeling that they could go in that direction. Cena's back is to the wall. The odds are against him. There is more interest in this feud than I feel was there before Summerslam. John Cena should not be the one to beat Lesnar for the title. Give that to someone else. But with Lesnar being a part-timer and Cena being who he is, I wouldn't be too shocked if Cena won his 16th World title at Night of Champions.

How about that match between Cena and Bray Wyatt? That was bad. I understand the story they were trying to sell. Cena was channeling his inner Lesnar and trying to prove a point. But I hated how that match played out. I don't like John Cena, but I don't think I needlessly blame him for everything. And I'm not going to blame him for this. That was just bad development on the part of the WWE. Wyatt was getting destroyed. It just looked awkward. He looked like he was just paralyzed for most of the match. All of a sudden, he's good again. A little while after that, the match becomes a tag match. Cena wins. But just the story of the Cena/Wyatt match was bad. I could also complain about Cena destroying The Wyatts after, but I won't. It is one thing for Cena to get destroyed like he did at Summerslam. Part of his character is that he endures huge beatings and bounces back. Bray Wyatt going through that after he has looked strong against certain individuals, like Daniel Byan, just felt awkward. The flow of that match was horrible. I'll say it a million times, it was just awkward and bad. Since there is still time until Night of Champions, I would hope the WWE does not have more Cena matches like what they had last night. That story does not need to be told over and over again.

Let me focus just on Bray Wyatt for a little. After Chris Jericho returned to essentially put over this guy, he basically gets fed to John Cena. Some people actually thought the WWE was developing The Wyatts to be stars. More like they are there to put over stars. They just need some credibility invested in them every now and then to make them look strong. Jericho gave Wyatt a little bit of credibility. The WWE spent it for the benefit of Cena last night. Does Jericho actually think he is helping anyone get over and become stars? It means nothing if the WWE does not follow through. I cannot picture Wyatt going anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment