Monday, April 7, 2014

The Streak Ends

That match between Brock Lesnar and The Undertaker did not turn out the way I was expecting at all at Wrestlemania. I was expecting a great match between the two. The match did not seem to be that great. And the finish? The Streak is over. Brock Lesnar has ended The Streak just like that.

The majority of people thought Taker would win this. The build for the feud wasn't that great, Brock got back the momentum heading into the PPV, the possibility of Taker putting his undefeated streak on the line against Sting was becoming a real, and all those other reasons you could come up with were there. The fans were just left stunned. Some people are saying that something had to have happened and the match outcome was altered. I am not going to run on that assumption. But is this how you really want one of the greatest attractions in the last decade of Wrestlemania to end?

I never got to talk about this, but what kind of wrestler do I feel should have ended The Streak? A lot of fans say that it should be some young talent that could use the rub to get over. I disagree. That would be a waste. If a wrestler cannot get over through his own abilities and the WWE giving him a great push, he does not deserve to be fed The Undertaker at Wrestlemania. The person that ended it should be someone more established than that. A top star. I would have had no problem with Triple H or Shawn Michaels doing it. Even John Cena would have made sense. And the build for the feud would have to be great. Triple H and Shawn Michaels had a great build against The Undertaker in the last few years. I could imagine the hype being there if Cena took on The Undertaker, as well.

How does Brock Lesnar stock up? I don't think he deserves it. Not only is he a part-timer, but I just don't think he really needed it or deserved it. He is definitely credible. I will not deny that he is credible. And the build up for this feud was just so mediocre. If they had done a better job, I might get that feel that Brock Lesnar deserved this. I don't consider him a true legend in pro wrestling to have deserved this.

The Undertaker is not necessarily retired yet. The idea many fans have had in recent years is that he would either retire with The Streak still intact or retire after being defeated. With the way things went down, I cannot imagine it ending like that. It doesn't have the feel that it is over for him. What is likely to happen? Taker comes out on Raw to give a speech, Sting intervenes, and next year's Wrestlemania is set? Some are already anticipating that. Whether that happens or not, I do not expect the end to come just like that.

You can expect Raw to get a great rating tonight. The last few weeks have not been what you would expect for Wrestlemania season. Barring people watching it on the WWE Network, I don't expect Wrestlemania to get a lot of PPV buys. But after what happened last night, and I'm not just talking about The Undertaker, you will get a good post-PPV bump. Is that how the Reality Era is going to work? They are creating buzz to get people to tune in.

2 comments:

  1. A lot of people think Brock Lesnar didn't deserve it and I'm one of them - seriously he gives me the heebies jeebies, I often think one day they'll discover where he's buried the bodies.

    That aside, there is the popular theory that the Undertaker obviously chose Brock to end the streak, he ultimately would have had the final say so on it I'd imagine. I think he's probably tired and wants to retire, otherwise I fail to see the point of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's no problem if he chose Brock and wanted to retire, but the way the feud was handled and the match just doesn't seem fitting.

      Delete