Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Your New Heyman Guy: Curtis Axel

Over the last two days, I have been saying that I don't like overkill. Giving one person too much more than they may need at a time when many other people are not getting anything great can get annoying. It's okay to do it in moderation, especially in those situations where you would like to cause a shot of controversy to draw or honor someone that has really earned it. But if you do it too much, it might start losing value and not even be effective, in addition to leaving others with scraps. I talked about this with Dean Ambrose winning the U.S. Championship and AJ Lee likely getting the Diva's Championship. I don't hate Dean Ambrose. I don't think AJ Lee should be getting nothing to do at all. Right now, I feel what they are doing with Curtis Axel (former Michael McGillicutty) will become overkill.

Recently, there was a dirtsheet report that the reason Antonio Cesaro was depushed was because he was boring. That is believable. I even said that depushing someone if they are not connecting well with the fans is understandable. Funny thing is, I seem to remember the WWE burying Michael McGillicutty a few years ago for not being exciting. This was back when he was teaming with Otunga. And this was no rumor or something being reported by those sites. The WWE actually ran an angle with it. What exactly has this guy done since then to deserve what he is getting now? Right now, I don't consider myself a fan of either Antonio Cesaro or Curtis Axel. However, I would say that Cesaro actually deserves a better push right now out of the two.

Who can forget Chris Jericho's epic return in 2012? There was this aura of mystery around it. Why was he acting like that? Did he have a scheme to win the Royal Rumble? Would he win the WWE Championship? And nothing happened. All that hype, and nothing happened. To me, this week's Raw felt the same way.

With all that out of the way, let's go to the issue itself. The WWE hyped that Paul Heyman had signed a new client. When I heard that, I got excited about who it could be. A lot of people were thinking that it could be the return of Rob Van Dam or Batista. I didn't think it would be Batista. Would it be a midcard heel? Would it be Randy Orton turning heel? Zack Ryder getting that big push after all this time complaining? Jinder Mahal? No one ever expects Jinder Mahal. Heyman hyped it up so well, which is nothing unusual for him. And then, Michael McGillicutty comes up on the tron. I thought that it had to be some kind of swerve. Somebody bigger than that had to be coming out later in the night to save Heyman from Triple H. Nope. And I did not see anything special in his match against Triple H. Of course, it was Triple H he was going against and the story of the match was more about Triple H not being able to continue the match.

Does Curtis Axel deserve the rub of aligning with Paul Heyman and the debut match against Triple H? I am not against this guy getting an opportunity. How about repackaging him and bringing him back as a midcarder? Obviously, he stands a better chance of possibly succeeding with this kind of push he is getting now than a regular midcard push, but there are other individuals who are showing better potential who are already featured more regularly who can use the kind of push he is getting. And to repeat the three ideas I mentioned previously, this can end up being overkill, they are giving a big push to a guy they themselves buried for being boring, and all this hype may not lead to success. If this guy is going to succeed, I am going to hope it is going to be up to him, not Paul Heyman and the WWE carrying him. I will not like this guy just because Paul Heyman and whoever else praises him. I am not that kind of fan. For me, it doesn't really matter how good this guy is on the mic. Heyman will be his mouthpiece. But he does need to show a good character and step up in the ring. Of course, if people do buy into him without any real improvement from him and he gets over, then he has earned his spot. You don't earn a spot by impressing me.


No comments:

Post a Comment