Friday, January 11, 2013

New World's Heavyweight Champion: Alberto Del Rio

A few weeks ago, Alberto Del Rio had a face turn that came out of nowhere. This week, he was a part of something else that seemed to come out of nowhere. He has beaten Big Show on Smackdown for the World's Heavyweight Championship.

I'm a Del Rio fan, so I'm not against him winning the title. I am also not against title changes happening on Raw and Smackdown. Mix it up a little, don't let it always happen on PPVs. And yet, I do have a problem. It was too sudden and not developed well. It was obvious Del Rio was entering a feud with Big Show. If they wanted to have the title change before the Royal Rumble, at least develop and hype that title match. As I said before, this title change came out of nowhere. The WWE is promoting it. Let's see how well ratings do with fans eager to see the title change.

I also don't like how strong they made Del Rio look in that match. It was a little much. It was the kind of thing you would expect from Cena. I didn't mind when the WWE was showing signs of making Del Rio into a master heel around his first title run, but I don't think every face they push in the main event needs to look superhuman. It does make Del Rio look good, but I'm not sure he really needed it.

Aside from those two issues, this situation is not horrible. I don't feel bad for Big Show losing the title. That's isn't an insult to Big Show. He had a good few months with the title. This isn't the same thing as Christian losing the title to Randy Orton on Smackdown. Not only did that come out of nowhere, a lot of fans viewed it as insulting to Christian. What happened with Big Show is not the same thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment