Tuesday, January 24, 2012

John Laurinaitis Done As GM?

When I talked about the possibility of CM Punk knocking off John Laurinaitis at the Royal Rumble, I was imagining CM Punk hitting one of those stiff kicks on the Executive Vice President of Talent Relations and Interim GM of Monday Night Raw, who would obviously be trying to screw him out of the WWE title. The WWE could then run an injury angle and find a new GM, which I mentioned before I was hoping would be Stephanie McMahon. It looks like the WWE might be prepping to get rid of the on-screen character of John Laurinaitis, as far as having him running Raw goes, but they are going about it differently.

Laurinaitis put his foot in his mouth by saying he would screw Punk out of the title. Triple H, who is still COO, will evaluate the job Laurinaitis has been doing next week on Raw. That is actually a smart move. It might make people wonder, will Laurinaitis really screw Punk? And after Punk attacked him? Screwing Punk will obviously cost him his job, since Triple H is a face, but will the current Raw GM just put his desire for revenge above his desire to stay in power? That is an interesting position right there. I am not convinced they will sell the PPV on just that, but it is good for the storyline.

Even if Laurinaitis does call it all down the middle, Triple H is obviously not on his side, so that may leave a vacancy for a new Raw GM. Who is it going to be? I am not going to waste anyone's time by giving more reasons why it should be Stephanie McMahon. I want to look at some of the other options. Triple H again? That would basically put things back to where they were a few months ago. And how will having Triple H, a face, really benefit the storylines heading into Wrestlemania? He has already feuded with the guy that is against authority. That guy is now a face too. I cannot imagine what other major feuds Triple H can benefit for other wrestlers. I'm not talking about his own personal feuds. I am talking about how he, in his position of power, might influence other feuds. I don't think having him back in the same spot again so fast is needed. Vince McMahon? If they were bringing him back, I don't feel like they would have Triple H be the one handling this situation. Besides that, even though a feud between Vince and Punk will be likely sooner or later, I would still build it up more. Wait until next year's Wrestlemania. You can toss in names like Jim Ross or Mick Foley, but I would see better possibilities with a heel GM or one that is treated as a tweener. That is where Punk's current gimmick will shine the most. If he is in there with a face GM, and especially one that the fans may easily side with, having him be against the guy in charge would not work too well. Bringing back in Stephanie McMahon, I still think she's a good fit. Leave it there.

John Laurinaitis may lose this on-screen role, but I am still hoping he comes back in some other capacity. Yeah, he lacks charisma and all that, but not all great heel need to be cool or too annoying. He is a guy people can hate and easily find things to make fun of. I could buy him as a boss, as someone in charge. Whether you like it or not, even if he loses his GM job next week, he isn't really going to be wished his best in his future endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment