Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Thoughts on Raw, Alberto Del Rio, and AJ Lee

My thoughts on Raw follow the same theme from the last few weeks. Not that interesting. If you count the Edge/Khali matches as 1, there were only 5 actual matches on the show. Didn't Edge and Khali have a match just a few weeks ago? Their latest showing will not be giving Taker vs. HBK II at Wrestlemania a run for its money for MOTY. Chris Jericho vs. John Morrison was good for giving Morrison fans another reason to say he should be in the main event, and also furthered the angle with Jericho. Nevertheless, neither of those two have been fresh for a while now. Then you have Nexus and Cena and Orton. Darren Young will fail to bring the intrigue back to Nexus. Melina once again defended the Diva's Championship. Is Maryse the only credible heel on Raw left for her to knock down before the PPV? Miz/Daniel Bryan segment furthered Miz/Daniel Bryan feud. Honestly, not to parrot Michael Cole or say something just to start an argument or be different, Daniel Bryan does not interest me. At least Chris Benoit had an intensity to him. Before anyone says the old CM Punk excuse, I don't want to watch Daniel Bryan's ROH stuff. I am not going to watch his indies work to say that the stuff the guy is doing now is so interesting and entertaining for me. No one knows better than me where the real blame should go, but I think Daniel Bryan has to be able to be better than this. I am getting tired of the same old faces in the same old spots. Where is DiBiase's push? They injected credibility in Bourne, thus creating an even more credible jobber. Even pushing Mark Henry can really make something different. I need not mention that the Tag Champs are wasted on Raw. How can two hours just go by with the same thing for so many weeks in a row?

Now something I do like. Alberto Del Rio. I am not going to make the comparisons to other wrestlers. Anyone who has been watching wrestling for a while knows them themselves. This guy is entertaining. He is one of those superstars who can get themselves over with their own abilities. It helps that the WWE is hyping him pretty good too. Is it too early to wish he becomes a WWE Champion one day? Hope his push does not get too messed up in the future. On a sadder side, what midcard heel has really lost that momentum recently? Resources devoted to Alberto Del Rio have to be coming at someone's expense. I would say McIntyre has really lost what he had. He had an epic entrance, great angle, and good hype on him for months. Recently? He looks like he's staling.

AJ Lee. Every NXT seems to have someone the internet is high on before it even starts. First, Daniel Bryan. Second, Kaval. Now, AJ Lee. I am approaching her with the same philosophy that I have every other wrestler I have ever seen in the WWE, whether it be Daniel Bryan, CM Punk, Mickie James, William Regal, Randy Orton, or whoever. I am going to wait and see what she can actually do in the WWE. I will not even judge her from her NXT work that much. I will wait until she is doing what the regular divas must do on the main rosters. However, I still want to bring her up. I have read the hype the sites are already spreading. Everyone seems in love with the fact that she was the first female with wrestling experience to be hired by the WWE in two years. I also read she was only wrestling for two years before WWE signed her. She had just over 20 matches under her belt. Two years? 20 matches? OH MY GOD! THIS IS BIGGER THAN THE SECOND COMING OF JBL!!!!!!!! Not by a mile. This is the woman who is now supposed to save the diva division? Sounds like Angela Fong all over again. Sounds like when Smackdown needed Gail Kim to debut so badly. Sounds like so much that I have already heard. This woman is not here to replace Mickie James. She is here to replace the credible divas still there whose role is to put over the major star(s). How many times can McCool go over Melina? Once McCool finally pins Beth Phoenix, Beth's days might as well be numbered in terms of either when she gets released or the countdown to when she gets a meaningful push and proper treatment again. WWE has not pushed a fresh real wrestler in the diva division in years. They need more divas like that. AJ Lee seems to be a perfect choice to me. The fact that she is already gaining some overness without having to do anything on actual WWE programming may make her a good face to put over the heels they want over. I highly doubt she is here to be made a centerpiece. Don't get too attached.

No comments:

Post a Comment