Thursday, August 31, 2017

The End

This will be my last day blogging. I do not imagine I will return to this. I just want to thank all the few regular readers I have had over the years, including the ones that left comments. Knowing that people actually cared enough to read what I was saying and kept coming back really helped. I probably would not have lasted this long without that.

I should say why I will not be blogging anymore. First, I am just not a wrestling fan anymore. It just doesn't entertain me anymore. When I first started watching regularly in 1998, it was because there was intrigue, interesting characters, and just a fun, exciting atmosphere. I don't feel any of that anymore.

Second, not only does wrestling not entertain me, it annoys me. The sloppiness of the WWE just turns me off. Even worse than that, how the WWE treats their workers is terrible. It is one thing to be inefficient, but not giving workers fair opportunities to succeed and earn better for themselves is disgusting. It is even worse when the WWE exploits those individuals that succeed when they are not scripted to be great for the benefit of those the WWE wants to be great. It has pretty much been confirmed that the WWE does mistreat their workers in this way. It is not just backstage rumors or smarks creating conspiracy theories. You have seen people get over and not get treated better. You have seen workers complain about it. It happens. And I refuse to have the WWE tell me whom I should like or define greatness for me.

Lastly, moving on might just be good for my peace of mind. When I first started blogging in 2008, it was an all-diva blog because I disliked how the WWE was treating Mickie James and the division as a whole. I knew they did not want Mickie James over. Anyone paying attention to how she was pushed in 2007 and 2008 could tell it was just filler pushes. The WWE never did anything to make me doubt myself. If anything, the blatant mistreatment of guys like Zack Ryder and Daniel Bryan confirmed what I was saying, as well as how they treat Mickie James right now. And we all remember how Mickie's career ended back then in the WWE.

As someone that has lived in New York City for a long time, a motto that pops up in recent years is: "If you see something, say something." I saw something wrong back then and I don't feel like I did enough to get people to understand it. That has been on my conscience for a long time. I have had some sleepless nights over it, especially when reading Mickie James blame herself for what happened or thinking about other women so passionate about being in the WWE that I could see are not treated right and might go through the same garbage Mickie James went through. It is bad enough to get treated like crap, but dirtsheets, another source of annoyance for me, rub salt on the wounds.

Whatever personal issues Mickie James might have had, the problems did not start in 2010, or even 2009. I have said it multiple times over the years. I will say it for the final time. Prior to Mickie James even debuting back in 2005, the WWE was running their diva division in a certain manner. Female wrestlers pushed as credible jobbers, used as jobbers to the centerpiece and interim centerpiece, would never get over off of that type of career and move on to better. They all eventually got phased out. Chyna and Lita got over in the periphery. Mickie James didn't debut into the type of career Chyna and Lita had. She debuted in the kind of career where you don't get over. And she did get over. But the WWE never stopped pushing her the same way. The reason she got pushed as much as she did is because of poor depth and centerpiece issues, like multiple injuries to the women that were groomed to be the stars. This just gets ignored. No one ever analyzes what is going on right in front of them. Why is the WWE treating Mickie James poorly? Could it have anything to do with the fact that they do not want her over, as supported by the fact they are not pushing her as someone they want over, and she is more over than the women that are being pushed to be stars?

Something people might bring up is all the title reigns she got in the WWE. Keep in mind one came off of a botched finish at a house show. Even then, what's the worth of a title reign? It is not always a reward for getting over, it does not make you over, it does not mean the WWE will push you as someone they want over during the reign, and it does not guarantee you anything after the reign ends. I have seen a ton of title reigns in recent years that just left me wondering why the WWE even bothered. The wrestler wasn't over. They weren't pushed well. It's not like there was some kind of injury issue to warrant the reign. It just seemed pointless. It is easy to get lost in a title win, but it is just a moment. It is more important to pay attention to what happened in building up to that moment and what the WWE does after.

Let me give an example I was holding back on doing for a while. The WWE giving these women title reigns is kind of like giving them a gift. But what does it really mean? I just got through saying it does not really mean anything. Imagine a man buys a woman jewelry and other expensive gifts. Okay, but what does that mean? Does it automatically means he does love her? What if the man takes advantage of her? What if he humiliates her, especially in public? What if he cheats on her? What if he tosses her aside when he is done with her? What if he makes her feel it was her fault? And what if he chooses another woman to do this to?

This kind of thing does happen. There are movies about it. I remember watching a movie where a teenage boy was in a relationship with a teenage girl that he ended up ordering around and physically abusing. He would give her flowers to make it seem like he really did love her. But does that give him the right to mistreat her? In the end, he ended up killing the girl. The movie was called No One Would Tell.

Am I really comparing how the WWE treats their women to abusive relationships? Yes, you want to make something of it? My point is that the WWE giving these women title reigns does not automatically mean that the WWE values them as stars or is giving them the opportunity to earn that kind of career for themselves. I am making the comparison between that and a jerk buying a girl a gift not automatically meaning that he really loves her, and certainly does not mean he can abuse her.

Look back at how the WWE treated Mickie James back when they were supposedly in love with her and so many fans say she was the face of the diva division. Did they take advantage of her? They frequently used her in feuds designed to put over other women, and also filler pushes when the woman they would rather have on top was not around. Did they humiliate her? Yes, they did that. I am sure you know what I am referring to. And it was public humiliation. Millions of people all over the world saw it. It will be on Youtube for people to see for a long time. Did they cheat on her? Is it fair to not give Mickie James a proper chance to earn that spot that women like Candice Michelle and Michelle McCool are being given? I am pretty certain they did not make it clear to Mickie James that they were just using her and she was not a top star. I think this unfairness and manipulation can be seen as cheating Mickie James out of something. Did they toss her aside? Even before they released her, they tossed her aside numerous times when they were done using her to serve a purpose. They left fans wondering all these times why Mickie James was not being pushed. Did they leave Mickie James thinking it had to have been something she did? Yes, even though they had treated numerous women like this before Mickie James, and none of them should blame themselves for this. The WWE runs the men's division the same way. Lastly, did the WWE continue doing this to other women even after Mickie James. Yes. Even in this new era, there are sometimes hints of the WWE still doing it now and then. You take this all in. You call that love? You call that the WWE being high on Mickie James? The title reigns mean nothing. The fact that they pushed her does not mean they were high on her if they were all filler and jobber pushes. The problems did not pop up in 2009. Sadly, no one could tell.

Instead of Mickie James getting any respect for what she had to endure and overcoming it to succeed in a way no other woman prior to her was able to, she will always have that stigma that she screwed herself. Even now, she is not getting the career she earned. She will obviously get into the Hall of Fame, but that's not saying much these days. There is more to her story that will likely never be brought up. Mickie James will never speak up for herself. Her fans won't do it. The WWE certainly won't let her drop a legitimate pipebomb on her career. Why should it even come to do that? Why do so many wrestlers have to complain to get things. That sour atmosphere just turns me off. Just realize what you have in Mickie James and give her a good career. Lastly, not wanting to have the whole situation with Mickie James on my mind anymore is a reason I just want to move on.

I would say Mickie James is the greatest female wrestler the WWE ever had. That isn't favoritism talking. I wasn't born a Mickie James fan. Greatness is based on what you accomplish and how you accomplished it. It is based on the obstacles you had to overcome and how you overcame them. She got as over as she did back in the day by doing what a pro wrestling performer is supposed to do. She entertained. She was good enough in the ring to connect with wrestling fans. She was attractive enough to connect with fans interested in that. And she had a charisma that many fans could get drawn into. It is a shame that this toxic environment in the WWE currently is not helping her, but you cannot take away what she did accomplish. More women should try to be solid overall performers like that. The WWE should want to bring that out of the women, as well. There have been some women around that I thought could have what it takes. Paige was someone I thought could have done it. But it is just wrong for some women in the WWE to do nothing more but wrestle. If you cannot make big bucks for the WWE, you might find yourself depushed for the sake of Alexa Bliss. All you can really ask is for the WWE to give you a fair shot to earn that better career. After that, you have to make the most of it.

I am not too worried about what is going right now. It is a mess on both Raw and Smackown, but the WWE is likely to screw themselves even more than they screw any one woman in this era. Their many issues are biting them. There is no need for me to analyze and critique this stuff anymore. And with that, I say goodbye.

1 comment:

  1. I may have answered only few times but am reading yourvblog since 2008.

    I am also huge Mickie fan and completely agree about her. I can also see how tothis day the WWE continue to do this half pushes for women it considers credible jobbera. How so many are about "what might of been" instead of "what is".

    No, it wont change. Noy as long as Vince.

    But I thank you deeply on the great posts. They were enlighting. Thanks and have a great life.

    You are HOF blogger.

    ReplyDelete