Tuesday, January 6, 2015

State Of The WWE Diva Division: January 2015

The diva division right now is slightly better than what you had one year ago. You can go back to what I said in January 2014 here. Basically, one of the main problems the WWE had back then was a lack of creative depth. AJ Lee had the title and you had mediocre title feuds going on. Outside of that, nothing.

What has improved? Nikki Bella is holding the title. You have a heel Diva's Champion with a sidekick. Sounds just like AJ Lee and Tamina from last year. Recently, however, the WWE has rotated minor feuds and angles for credible jobbers and some of the lower-tier periphery divas. These feuds are so minor, it is almost as bad as doing nothing at all. I once compared the diva division to ice cream. Yeah, I actually once did that. Periphery divas are supposed to be like the sprinkles, chocolate syrup, cherry, and all that other stuff you add to the ice cream to make it look more appealing and taste even better. These divas and these angles are supposed to make the diva division more interesting outside of the title feuds. Some of these angles you have seen with divas like Naomi and Natalya could have potential, but they are not developed well. Regardless, that is why I say things are slightly better. Creative depth is a little bit better.

Is Nikki Bella the new centerpiece? She is the type of diva they like to fill that position. There is a vacancy for that position. And the diva division is not dead. She very well may be the new central focus of the diva division. But I'm not ready to crown her just yet. If you want to crown her, crown her. She is feuding against Natalya, a clear credible jobber, but the feud needs to be developed better. Is that why Paige is there? Moreover, you also have the possibility of Nikki eventually dropping it to her sister and Brie being pushed as centerpiece. Or is all this just dark age shenanigans and they are really not ready to be efficient again? I'll wait a little to see what direction things go.

Paige, who is now on Total Divas, got involved in the diva match last night. She is back to being a face. Recently, I said the WWE should consider pushing Paige well with AJ Lee not around for the sake of appeasing certain fans. Is that the intent here? Or just Total Divas matters? It could just be for the sake of evening the sides. Nikki has a partner to aid her and her opponents could use a sidekick. I wouldn't be surprised to see this transition to Nikki vs. Paige. But the WWE better be careful. That girl has a mind of her own and wants to be a success. She was showing some real personality out there. Diva sidekicks are nothing unusual, but Paige was showing more character in the role she played last night than most women in that position typically show. They are usually generic. Do the attack spots, then just stand around with your diva comrade. But it is how you do things that really set you apart and make you great. And Paige was definitely not generic. She definitely has what it takes to get over on her own.

I skipped most of Raw last night. I was following what was going on online. And I was also paying attention to what Paige fans were saying on Twitter just out of interest. Some fans were marking out just seeing her standing there for the opening segment. No, you cannot do that. And the way some of them got excited later in the show, I thought Paige had just won the Diva's Championship or something. You cannot settle for mediocrity for that. These things and certain extracurricular activities, like Total Divas, do not mean much. Paige is still a credible jobber. She is still getting the kind of career Mickie James had. Mickie James also got extracurricular activities, but she was pushed to put over other women and used as filler when they were not around. Outside of that, she got the same kind of mediocrity that Paige is getting. Mickie James obviously overcame it to get over, but that didn't change anything. As a fan, you obviously like seeing Paige out there. I understand that. But you should be aware of what they are doing with her. If you are not, the day will come when they start treating Paige even worse and you will be left shocked.

Why don't I say what my Twitter username is? To be honest, I am kind of ashamed of my Twitter. I don't like the tone I use. I don't use profanity and I am not overly rude. I just feel I get annoying. Someone on there once accused me of writing essays. Yeah, well, that's kind of what I do. I would just rather be doing it on a blog than on Twitter, but I only get about 20 visits a day on my blog. And I actually did try to put up a Twitter button on here last week, but I couldn't remember how to add those things. I looked it up, but I still can't figure it out. I should totally fire my social media department.

Do you know what a filibuster is? It's when a politician gives one of those very long speeches. I have never tweeted that much at one time, but that is a good tactic. Just keep on tweeting until I get a response or I get blocked. Either way, I know someone had to have read at least some of what I was saying. Annoying? Annoying as a filibuster might be? The alternative seems to be sitting here and watching female wrestlers continue to be mistreated and wrestling journalists continue to botch analyzing what is going on. I think I would rather tweet.

No comments:

Post a Comment