Monday, March 7, 2011

Dolph And Vickie To Raw

When one of the last things I said on my old diva blog was that there would be some kind of diva movement between last year's WWE Draft and this year's, my rationale being things would get stale in the two divisions, I did not expect Vickie Guerrero moving to Raw to be one of them.

To be fair, it is not true in terms of storyline definitely yet. Dolph Ziggler is now on Raw. Vickie appeared on Raw to introduce him and push that she would be his manager. The Raw GM revealed that Vickie would earn a contract if she beats Trish Stratus next week. Yep, WWE is pulling out all the legends they've got to draw fans for Wrestlemanie hype.

Dolph Ziggler is a former World Champion. That is pathetic. I am not saying the guy does not deserve to one day be a credible World Champion, but that is not what happened. He never won the title from Edge in a match, gets it handed to him, then loses right back to Edge. In terms of titles, he has that credibility now of having held a major World title in the WWE, on paper anyway. In terms of actual build, this guy really went nowhere. I have a feeling Raw will not do much more for him either. Instead of building a great Wrestlemania feud for John Morrison, they feed him to Ziggler tonight. I honestly believe Ziggler should have stayed on Smackdown. He would do better there.

Trish Stratus competes again? And against quite possibly the most over heel female in the WWE? Yes, Vickie cannot wrestle, but she is over, a heel, and a female. Back to Trish. Diva of the Decade? I remember that. She had not even been in the WWE for more than 5 years, had not even had more than 5 Women's Championships, yet the WWE knew they were going to build her to be better than everyone else. They did. That award was just one piece of the hype. And Josh made an interesting statement when he said Trish held the Diva's Championship more times than anyone else. Trish never held the butterfly title. Botch or phasing out the idea that the two titles are really separate? Back to my days of writing my diva blog, and this I cannot remember whether I actually said on there, I just had the feeling that the two titles would become interchangeable when it came to talking about how many titles reigns a certain diva had, especially when the Women's Championship would be retired. The WWE does not usually separate how many times Triple H was WWE Champion from how many times he was World's Heavyweight Champion. Just lump them together to get 13. But this thing with Trish, as I said before, she never even held the title. You can argue that the two titles now share the same lineage, but if you really think about it, one is retired and the other is alive. That is what happened at Night of Champions last year. In any case, it is a good thing the WWE released a certain someone last year. Had they not, she would have had the same number of female title reigns as Trish by now. Maybe? Maybe even break that record? As far as I am concerned, this just lends more fuel to my belief that the woman in question was let go to protect Trish's legacy. Not blaming Trish. But thank you, WWE. Who would I ever know who to like if you didn't overhype them for me to know?

That leaves Vickie Guerrero. I would love to say that Ziggler does not need her at all. That is probably true. Vickie, however, does make it slightly easier for Dolph to be used correctly in some ways on Raw. Vickie is a woman the WWE loves using. If she is still latched onto Dolph, that may make it easier for him to be showcased and not become lost in the shuffle as some. Whether she gets the contract next week or not, they may turn it into an angle where Vickie does eventually become an official member of Raw. When that happens, a woman would have officially moved in between Drafts, just like I predicted. Still, not who I had in mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment